Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
The Research Advisory Committee (RAC) will consist of one member from each of the participating universities and one from each of the funding organizations. A Chair and a vice-Chair will be selected from the Committee, one from industry and the other from the universities. The Program Co-ordinator will be an ex-officio member of the RAC.
The RAC will report to the Board with the RAC Chair attending Board meetings.
The RAC will advise the UNENE Board and, where empowered by the Board, carry out its research program in the following areas.
- Form the liaison between the universities and industry concerning the identification of research areas and programs of mutual interest.
- Act as liaison between the universities and the CANDU Owners Group (COG) to promote mutually beneficial collaboration.
- Assess the research expertise and facilities that exist in both universities and industry and identify the gaps that exist.
- Pursue opportunities for collaborative programs between industry and the universities including possibilities for university professors and students to work in industry and for industry people to work at the universities.
- Identify cooperative and collaborative research projects and programs for inclusion in joint applications for leveraging funds to bodies such as the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and, in the case of theOntariouniversities, to the Ontario Research and Development Challenge Fund (ORDCF), by the UNENE universities.
- The selection of thesis graduate students, M.A.Sc. and PhD, for the UNENE graduate scholarship programs.
- Promote adjunct professor appointments in the universities for industrial researchers.
- Assist in the development and review of UNENE Chair proposals.
- Aid in maintaining existing nuclear facilities in universities and expanding them if appropriate.