UN 0803 – Nuclear Reactor Safety Design
August 8 & 9, 2015
August 22 & 23, 2015
September 19 & 20, 2015
October 3 & 4, 2015
Victor Snell Adjunct Professor, McMaster University
If you will be participating in the course using distance education please inform the instructor by email prior to the course commencing. Access to UN803 via distance ed course will be through Blackboard Collaborate
- Although the level of physics and math required for UN0803 is relatively modest, it is highly recommended that you review the Physics refresher / prerequisite material for this course and the general Math refresher / prerequisite to ensure you are ready for UN0803. See the Refresher / Prerequisite Material page for further information.
- It is assumed you are familiar with CANDU design. If not, it is highly recommended that you skim the text for UN0803 to understand what you need to know; and read the relevent sections of the textbook: "The Essential CANDU" for a summary of the CANDU design.
Safety design and analysis of nuclear reactors based on deterministic and probabilistic assessments. Topics include: concepts of risk; probability tools and techniques; safety criteria; design basis accidents; risk assessment; safety analysis; safety system design; and general policy and principles.
Prerequisite: Registration in the UNENE M.Eng. or UNENE Diploma Program
Instructor: Victor Snell.
The textbook for this course is "The Essential CANDU" https://unene.ca/education/candu-textbook, particularly Chapters 13 and 16. Therefore only the classroom presentation material is given on this page. However the lecture notes from 2013 are provided here, as some of the material may be useful for self-study. Caution: they were current as of 2013 but are NOT maintained any more.
- Lecture 1 Introduction
- Lecture 2 Design Basis Accidents
- Lecture 3 Case Studies
- Lecture 4 Case Studies – continued
- Lecture 5 Safety Goals
- Lecture 6 Probability
- Bayes Theorem – resource material, including a short video
- Lecture 7 Shutdown Systems
- Lecture 8 Heat Removal and Containment
- Lecture 9 Accident Analysis
- Lecture 10 Accident Analysis – continued
- Lecture 11 Technology of Accident Analysis
- Lecture 12 Technology of Accident Analysis – continued
- Lecture 13 Safety Trends
- IAEA SSR-2/1 – Safety of Nuclear Power Plants: Design Specific Safety Requirements
- ICONE 12-49287 – The Probability and Management of Human Error, Romney B. Duffey and John W. Saull, Proceedings of ICONE12: 12th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering , April 25-29, 2004, Virginia, USA